Re: [tor-talk] Legal or not on monitoring traffic at a Tor exit?

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Xinwen Fu <xinwenfu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm just asking the legal liability of running Tor exits and making it
> clear. I don't bother with modifying somebody's traffic.

The FAQ in question from that link says:

 "Tor relay operators in the United States can possibly create civil
and even criminal liability for themselves under state or federal
wiretap laws if they monitor, log, or disclose Tor users'
communications, while non-U.S. operators may be subject to similar
laws. Do not examine the contents of anyone's communications without
first talking to a lawyer."

This isn't a legal list, and I'm not a lawyer.  If you want legal
advice, you ought to talk to a real lawyer.  Your university probably
has a bunch who would be glad to help you; your department should be
able to put you in touch with them.  There is also contact info for
the EFF on that legal FAQ; they wrote it, so they might be able to
explain any parts that are not clear.

From your original mail:
> is there any policy from Tor governing the behavior of the operators?

The policy of Tor is that node operators should not violate people's privacy.

My personal opinion, additionally, is that by signing up a node on the
Tor network, an operator is offering people a service that they hope
to use in order to enhance their privacy.  Anybody who offers people
privacy and then deliberately invades that privacy is, in my opinion,
a liar, and worse than a liar.  Such a person would be betraying the
very people who came to them for help.

So please don't do it.

yrs,
--