Re: [tor-talk] Request: would someone create a tutorial on how to examine an app for leaks?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 17:52, Tom Ritter wrote:
> On 5 October 2012 11:37,  <antispam06@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is a request. Would someone be so kind as to add a tutorial, in
> > fact, several tutorials for how to test/see if an app is Tor ready?
>

> There's some wiki articles, but I'm surprised there wasn't a simple
> one...
>
> For Linux, I think the fastest/most naive way would be:

Thank you Tom. It's very clear. But that wasn't the question. Because I
don't have a second machine. Because I travel daily and I don't intend
to depend on a second machine. Because I have quite a light laptop. And
I won't be able to run two virtual machines on it. Even one is quite a
lot of work for my computer. I know I can use Tails. And install what
else I need. But the idea was different.

The developers are trying to keep TBB as slim as possible. Every other
app or extension means extra hours for an already overworked team. And
they are right. They have the responsability to deliver up to a certain
level. In my case, the restrictions are far lighter than for a man
fighting the system. So I am willing to take some extra risk for some
extra confort. And I guess there are many out there just like me. But I
hope I'm no fool. So I want to be able to do my own testing. And,
according to the documents somebody would provide, others could evaluate
the risks as well.

Your solution, in my case, is bad. That only pushes all trafic through
Tor. Nothing more, nothing less. In my case I can survive a DNS leak.
But the apps tell a lot on somebody. Geolocation. System identification
through OS, computer name and so on and so on. With your solution I can
be identified in a public place in no time. At least Tails doesn't
expose me to that risk.

Cheers!