Re: [tor-talk] Testing Documentation for TorBirdy

Sorry for the delay in answering. I overlooked the message.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 01:09, tagnaq wrote:
> > Sukhbir, could you make a small tutorial on how to test TorBirdy?
> > I'm willing to create one or two free accounts via TBB and do the
> > checking, but I have no idea how.
>
> thanks for your offer to test TorBirdy. What are you aiming for exactly?
>
> a) Do you aim to test TorBirdy's features and ensure they are working
> as they should (like regression tests before releasing new version)
> or

Sure. IMAP4 / POP3 / SMTP
As I recall from a long time ago these protocols were usable even with
telnet. But how do I see for myself what Thunderbird is chatting with a
server, now that's a totally different thing.

> b) Do you want to test a TorBirdy setup and find yet unknown leaks?

Same as above. Gladly. But somebody has to show me how and what to do.

> For (a) a detailed feature list with expected behaviour should be
> enough for you to build test cases, such a list does not exist yet but
> we will build it

What do you mean by âtest casesâ? A text like Johnny wants to use his
laptop behind his campus' firewall? A list of servers that I want or
need accessed? Or something else?

> if you want to go into the direction of (b) you might want to have a
> look at bit.ly/qDZm7C (chapter 3.1 and 3.3) and analyze parts of
> Thunderbird that were not in scope back then (for example the new chat
> feature - which I really dislike to have in Thunderbird).

I'd love to. But my assumptions can fall short from what is needed. So
this is why I need detalied explanations.

Also, I speculate I'm not alone. TBB and TorBirdy teams should think
about it. Is it a complete moron a liability or an asset? Piling up
reports as a result of a very basic set of tools would swamp them or
give them new insights?

> To cover (a) the following ticket has been created:

Ok.