Re: [tor-talk] registration for youtube, gmail over Tor - fake voicemail / sms anyone?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:36:43 +0200
Mike Hearn <hearn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have a policy of phone verifying every signup via anonymizing
> proxies. If you signed up via Tor and didn't get asked to phone verify
> it means the list of exit nodes we're using isn't up to date, or there
> was a sync issue. Or you used an exit node that isn't in the list for
> some reason. We use this one:
> http://exitlist.torproject.org/exit-addresses

I'm not sure what using a phone gets you for more verification. I
helped a domestic violence survivor get an AT&T GoPhone at the
local Best Buy for $20. Paid in cash, no identity needed, prepaid
service. They signed up for a google account via tor, used the phone
for the one sms message and then donated the phone to a homeless
shelter.

I guess $20 is more than $1 for 1000 CAPTCHA breaks, but I guess that's
because the survivor isn't criminal minded enough to steal/clone
someone's phone for the sms message.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact