Re: [tor-talk] registration for youtube, gmail over Tor - fake voicemail / sms anyone?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:36:35 +0200
Mike Hearn <hearn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Right now I don't believe there is any safe way to use Google accounts
> via Tor if you aren't willing to provide a phone number, nor do I
> believe it's safe for any other large web service. Handling abuse
> whilst allowing discardable identities is a fundamental research
> problem the Tor team need to solve if they don't want Tor to be
> restricted to a "read only" internet (to use Greg Maxwells phrasing).

Why are anonymous signups assumed guilty of abuse before anything happens?  How about limiting usage initially, with progressive raising of limits based on time elapsed with non-abusive behaviour (something like credit card limits)?  People should be able to establish good *online* reputations that are not tied to their physical identity.