Re: [tor-talk] TB download improvement

Hi,

I did a Tor usability study recently, though admittedly with
participants who were English speakers (though a large chunk were not US
citizens and did not speak English as a first language). We termed a
failure to DL the TBB as "download clarity", and found it was the one of
the least cited usability issues.

I think the current UI is well tested and conveys information well.

However, off the top of my head, two small tweaks could solve the OP's
issues:

1.) Include small windows, apple, and tux logos on the download link on
the main tor page... these could serve as a symbolic cue that it is a
download link.

2.) Once on the download page, in the drop down list of languages that
is defaulted to "English" include a US and UK flag. Include flags from
representative countries in each language[1]. This is a common design
pattern on sites being accesed by many people speaking many languages
(eg: transit sites based in Europe)

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond very minor tweaks to the current
interface without a lab study showing that a statistically significant
number of non-English speakers had trouble DLing Tor.

--
Greg Norcie (greg@xxxxxxxxxx)
GPG key: 0x1B873635

[1] Admittedly this could get harder for say, Arabic - how do you pick
one country? This would probably want to be debated as to minimize
offense to nations not featured.