Re: [tor-talk] TB download improvement

On 10/16/12 3:29 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:55:02 -0400
> Greg Norcie <greg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1.) Include small windows, apple, and tux logos on the download link
>> on the main tor page... these could serve as a symbolic cue that it
>> is a download link.
>
> We had these in the past and people didn't recognize their own OS or
> what they were. Those interviewed thought they were just odd
> icons. However, I'm open to trying again. Maybe we have a new userbase.

I'd say as long as they didn't actively confuse users, they'd be a good
addition. Users who don't understand them will not be harmed, but those
who do recognize them will be helped.

>> 2.) Once on the download page, in the drop down list of languages that
>> is defaulted to "English" include a US and UK flag. Include flags from
>> representative countries in each language[1]. This is a common design
>> pattern on sites being accesed by many people speaking many languages
>> (eg: transit sites based in Europe)
>
> We had this in the past. The problem we ran into is people getting
> really angry, or thoroughly confused, at the flag not matching their
> language. You noted this in your footnote too. I don't have a good
> option for this. Suggestions, advice, and patches welcome.
>
> Making the language drop down larger can possibly help.

Could you put a graphic that says "language" in several languages?
(Whatever the top 5/10 most used are). Even if someone isn't in that
set, they've probably seen similar design choices in airports etc
denoting the same phrase in many languages.

--
Greg Norcie (greg@xxxxxxxxxx)
GPG key: 0x1B873635