Re: [tor-talk] Will Hidden Service Be Removed?

>> Personally I don't really like them. I think using hidden service as an
>> IP address for peer to peer (like torchat) is a risk factor although I
>> don't know enough to know for sure.

>You think. Not saying it's perfect and security should not be increased,
>but no one was ever exposed due to a Tor failure.

What I thought was due to reading some old papers. I believe they are
currently fixed. I think there was some directory listing? If a service
repeatedly goes up and down (because it was a client and not on a replay
server) you can compare what ipaddresses get a match. I believe there
was another attack including it being very obvious to guards but that
was an old paper.

>> (Maybe the already in place guards
>> fix that?). But I also think all the content in a hidden service are not
>> beneficial to anyone. Wikileaks may have been one but it looks like they
>> have no problems getting hosting/a domain and staying online

>1. wikileaks has a lot more financial resources
>2. wikileaks has a lot supporters
>3. look how some people ended up supporting them

>They are constantly in press. Not everyone wants this.

Agreed but then I believe they won't be targeted or encourage to shut
down.

>In a lot professions its impossible to host a controversial website. Say
>you are a physician, attorney, public servant, officer, just to name a few
>examples... And then you want stand up for "more rights for transvestites"
>or anything like that. You can't do that, otherwise you loose your daytime
>job.

Yes but A) They wouldnt have the know how to setup a tor service let
alone set up a website B) Theres no reason they can't use a 3rd party
clearnet site anonymously through tor. Such as wordpress or tumblr.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...