Re: [tor-talk] Is this a practical vulnerability?

In principle this is (as they write) very similar to earlier papers. The
major catch to their plan may be that if a hidden service already has
chosen its entry guards, and the "modified Tor nodes" are put out there
later - they ("malicious nodes") will therefore not be a part of the
path. But if they already have trusted entry nodes out there and the
client/hidden service selects by default Tor method - their attack (and
earlier ones) should be quite realistic.

Meaning that a hidden service should be very careful of which nodes it
selects as the entry node(s). Maybe Tor should *not* allow new entry
nodes (by default) to be added for hidden services upon unavailability
of old entry nodes because of this? Another option may be separation of
not trusting/adding new entry nodes for hidden services, but still do so
for the Tor client? (There is (was?) an option for StrictEntryNodes in
torrc which should be considered, but I seriously hope critical sites
are not hosted without deep knowledge of how the hidden services are
vulnerable.)

Be safe!

 - Lasse