Re: [tor-talk] legal status

INAL

This is an interesting question.

george torwell:
> Hi guys, I have a quick question regarding the following blog entry:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/top-changes-tor-2004-design-paper-part-2
>
> the last part states that Bit-torrent traffic can be trivially identified
> to originate at the user's ip.
> As an exit node operator, I get those annoying infringement notices, and up
> until now I've just replied with a polite 'nothing I can do'.
> Does this change anything?

Not answering, just noting. You still do not log anything. At the time
you get the notice, the infringement is already over.

> Can I be forced to help with identifying such a
> user?

Not answering, just noting. That depends on the local laws. You could
probable discuss this at length for all countries.

> Is it their fault for not knowing this?
> Any lawyers in the audience?
> Thanks.

You could try mailing eff with this question. Even if they can not
answer your case, they may be able to answer in general.