Re: [tor-talk] Silk Road taken down by FBI

--On Friday, October 04, 2013 2:11 AM +0000 mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/04/2013 01:54 AM, Juan Garofalo wrote:

    I'm wondering if I got this right:

    The NSA is supposed to be concerned only with 'national security'
issues and can't spy on 'ordinary Americans'. In practice the NSA spies
on everyone paying no attention to 'legal' restraints.

    If the NSA happens to find the location of, say, a 'criminal' tor
hidden service, the NSA will forward the information to the pertinent
'agency', say, the DEA, and the DEA  will lie about how they got the
information, presenting a 'plausible' alternate explanation. Is that how
they basically operate?

Yes, that sounds about right.

But, how would we know that?

	It's 'public knowledge'?

	http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifergranick/2013/08/14/nsa-dea-irs-lie-about-fact-that-americans-are-routinely-spied-on-by-our-government-time-for-a-special-prosecutor-2/

Here, it's more plausible that the found his hosting provider through
his bank or credit card account, or through his gmail address. No?

	That's another possibility. More plausible? Perhaps, but who knows.

However, I wasn't specifically commenting on the silk road case. Apologies, the subject says "silk road", but my message was worded in general terms.

Why assume conspiracy, when there's so much obvious stupidity?

Of course, the FBI could be totally lying in the complaint.

My point exactly. Although we can't know if that's the case, the possibility that they are at least partially lying is very real.