Re: [tor-talk] funnel many computers through one TBB?

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 21:52 +0200, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:32:01 +0000, Luther Blissett wrote:
> > Griffin! If all machines are accessing the internet though one gateway
> > or a couple of them, it makes more sense to have tor node running on
> > those gates and directing the internal machines traffic to tor socks
> > host/port.
>
> Possibly, and even probably, but you still need to install tor's
> version of firefox on every machine (using a regular browser
> is not the same), and you also don't get independent path selection
> for each user, both reducing individual anonymity.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> "Totally trivial. Famous last words."
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Point taken.

Nonetheless (1) Tor is more than a way to browse the web and you would
be missing that if you are just relying on a modded web browser to
connect to the Tor network; (2) the shared path on the network - AFAIK -
would not #sensibly# lower individual users anonymity since it would
increase traffic diversity on shared exit node and individual users
would remain harder to trace even if someone somehow could correlate
that given traffic is most likely routed from your network (spooky spy:
"so, they are here right now - cuz we've seen such pattern before they
set up Tor or learned it somehow - but who is generating this specific
juicy traffic we're after? All 50? 49?..2? 1?") Also, whose pattern is
more easily grasped by peeping tom's? That of 1 or that of 50?

Sure, people constantly echoing the name of the private group or of it's
members would pinpoint the network exit router at specific times, but
how would big brother know that all the network is sharing the same
exit? Users dumbness, I guess, but Tor can't protect you from pushing
user identifiable data on the network.

So, if TBB is just modded FF, you could mod it yourself and replace
files on all machines. FF shall respect your previous configs when
upgrading

But really, if those client machines rely on closed proprietary OSes,
why bother? You do not own those machines to begin with. Tor socks host
will give you an easy path to a place much different than that you think
of.

--
Do not forget that we are cattle on an animal farm which is managed and
handled mostly by machines. Machines do what they are/were told to. What

GPG: 0x48BE63E6