Re: [tor-talk] New paper : Users Get Routed: Traffic Correlation on Tor by Realistic Adversaries

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:42:41 +0000, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> One thing jumps out, Tor doesn't know for sure who's running Guard or
> exit nodes - & can't unless they start doing (regular, repeated)
> extensive personal interviews, background checks, giving polygraph
> tests, injecting sodium pentathol  to those wanting to run nodes.

I think you slightly disregard who is actually interested in a
trustworthy tor network. What you describe makes the tor operators
a cabal, and the problem is that the ones who actually want to
trust tor (the users) are outside that.

Besides, many attacks don't require to *run* the nodes, just to
monitor its traffic. And a TLA can do that without the honest
operator even suspecting.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."