Re: [tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:04:37AM +0100, 4dcb8ec3@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, yes it's called Orbot see here
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.torproject.android&hl=en_GB&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dorbot&pcampaignid=APPU_Hbc5VJLDFMjB7AaK9oBw
>
> And here's a Reddit thread on setting it up as a non exit node
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2im3cz/turn_your_android_into_a_tor_relay_get_bitcoin/

Unfortunately, your smartphone likely doesn't have the cpu to push much
traffic, and also your home wifi or equivalent very likely doesn't have
the bandwidth to be a good relay.

So this is a really appealing idea in theory, but in practice such relays
are much much less useful than faster relays -- to the point that slow
relays actually hurt the network because they produce bad performance
for users who are unlucky enough to pick them.

It would be cool to live in a world where things were different --
perhaps one day somebody will do the rest of the research and
engineering work involved in making the Conflux design work:
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#pets13-splitting
But we took a step in the direction away from Conflux when we moved
from three guard nodes per user to one.

--Roger