Re: [tor-talk] Social Research on TOR in Turkey during March2014

On 10/15/2014 08:57 PM, Paul Syverson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 06:15:37PM -0600, Mirimir wrote:
>>
>> "Web of Trust" is problematic for those who chose pseudonymity. Over the
>> years, I've come to trust several pseudonyms based on interactions via
>> discussion forums and email, signed documents and software, apparent
>> integrity, and so on. Nobody except me knows mirimir's true name, but
>> everyone can judge me by what I've said and done.
>>
>> Purists want DNA swaps these days, I guess ;)

Well, I meant "swabs", but "swaps" also works (not sexual, data).

> Not sure why a web of trust approach should be considered incompatible
> with grounding trust in a pseudonym or what you mean by "true name"
> (some sort of Vinge reference?), but in any case that's the best
> Freudian typo of the day.

Yes, _True Names_ is an all-time favorite. By "true name", I mean the
name on my various government-issued IDs. That name is associated with
my fingerprints and photo, and perhaps even with DNA sequence data.

It's encouraging that you don't consider WOT and pseudonyms necessarily
incompatible. But then, you helped invent Tor. Some do argue that WOT
means little without reliable identification, verified face-to-face.