Re: [tor-talk] I can't use Tor via "obfs3" or other methods.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:12:11 +0000 (UTC)
Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First, sorry for the thread necromancy. Thought it was worth responding
too, though, since the OP didn't get much of an answer.

Second, hello Jason, I have been experimenting with various
configurations and OBFS3/4 compatibility. I first noticed problems
connecting to OBFS4 bridges while using Tails on an older ASUS laptop.
I thought it was an outlier until I found several other laptop models
that had similar issues with almost identical logs to yours.

I still don't know exactly what inhibits a network interface from
connecting to a bridge but do have some info that might help push the
issue forward and give you connectivity. Also, as you probably
inferred, I believe it has to do with the network device the laptop or
computer is using to connect.

"iwlwifi" is a driver that has been part of debian stable for a long
time, AFAIK. This is the driver that a ton of laptops will assign to
the network interface. But on most newer lenovo's and some other
models, a different driver is used and with those laptops, OBFS4 and
sometimes OBFS3 will never connect.

My troubleshooting steps have been as follows:
- Try connecting to OBFS4
- Try connecting to OBFS3
- Try both 3/4 but with only <obfs* {ip_address:port} {fingerprint}>,
  and not including the cert, etc.
- Try using a different interface like a USB wifi device, I've had
  positive results with most ralink chipsets.
- Try a direct ethernet connection.

I thought that the problem had something to do with how tails clones
are made but now I'm unconvinced this is a problem. If you connect to
tor via some other setup, these suggestions should help.

In most of the configs I've worked on, ethernet has provided me at
least OBFS3 connectivity. In another case, the user needed to include
at least 1 OBFS3 bridge and all the bridges would connect and work, but
if she used all OBFS4, tor directory would never download.

Hope this helps.
three