Re: [tor-talk] TB 5.0.3 for OpenBSD released

Thanks for the feedback.

Some replies inline:

> Thank you very much for your effort. It is long awaited effort for
> people like me on OpenBSD.
>
> I have only one suggestion. Can you please build Tor Browser not only
> for -current but also for stable version like 5.7 and 5.8?

Ideally, we want to provide packages for -stable, but at this point,
we're still in development mode. It would certainly encourage more
testing, although we don't want to encourage *too* much usage at this point.

Development for OpenBSD is always focused on -current, which is a moving
target.

On that note, we are updating the 5.0.3 packages, as there have been
some significant amd64 changes, and the current 5.0.3 TB doesn't run on
it.  And we might do an i386 build for 5.0.3 sooner than later. Stay
tuned for updates.

> Awesome! Thanks for continuing to work on this.
>
> Also, great job on the relay advocacy side too.

Very appreciated.

> And for those following along at home, what they've done here is
> actually a system-wide install for Tor Browser, so then when a user
> runs it, she gets a local copy of the state that Tor Browser
> generates. This is actually one of the directions that we want to
> explore for the Debian package as well -- putting the core pieces
> into /usr/something, and then when the user runs it, it copies over
> whatever it needs into the user's home directory, and on subsequent
> runs it sees if a new version has appeared and updates its local
> files as needed.

Thanks.  Even though it's been a number of releases for us, we still
have a lot to do.  Hardly an immediate step, but things like pledge(2)
and tedu comments on OpenBSD's W^X on browser JIT engines are
interesting directions.

>> TDP is seeking funding to continue and extend its efforts. Please
>> contact us if interested in assisting TDP, allowing us to dedicate
>> more time to the project.
>
> Yes please! I encourage interested people to follow up with them.

Thanks.

We have been noticeably weak on publicity, but we are aiming to be a bit
more communicative moving forward with a blog (of sorts) at
https://torbsd.github.io/blog.html or bptfp7py2wclht26.onion/blog.html

-----
5F77 765E 40D6 5340 A0F5 3401 4997 FF11 A86F 44E2