Re: (FWD) Tor, Socks bind, and BitTorrent

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:44:26AM +0100, Paul Gardner wrote:
> The idea of a hidden tracker sounds interesting, I'll investigate further.

Setting ut a hidden tracker isn't a problem.
It's the first peer that is.

(I use $HTTP(S)_PROXY, thats why tsocks isnt called before the commands)

Edit /etc/tor/torrc just as you normally would:
HiddenServiceDir /etc/hidden_services/bittorrent/
HiddenServicePort 6969 127.0.0.1:8000

Get the onion-address and build the metafile in the dir with the files:
btmakemetafile tor-0.0.8.tar.gz http://pp6t3l7zdoxu43gt.onion.onion:6969/announce

Stay in that directory and start the tracker:
bttrack --port 8000 --dfile torrent.log &

Create the first peer:
btdownloadcurses --url http://www.northernsecurity.net/tor-0.0.8.tar.gz.torrent

Now, this is the problem. Somebody has to be the first peer and that
one, by the looks of it, has to be running on the machine with the tracker until
there are other peers available. Correct?

Last but not least we test with an external BT (behind firewall and
NAT):
btdownloadcurses --url http://www.northernsecurity.net/tor-0.0.8.tar.gz.torrent --ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

I also tested setting up a webserver (onion-address of course), fetching
the file directly so that a machine not running the tracker got a
complete copy and started btdowloadcurses as normal. btdownload didn't
complain but i couldn't get the machine to be the first peer.

Am I missing something?

/Thomas
--
== Encrypted e-mails preferred | GPG KeyID: 114AA85C