Need some help badly!

Hello all,

 I am trying to make a reliable service to repay those that have helped me
 in the past. Today I brought home a Dell 3.2 Ghz PC with Windows
 pre-installed. I have no problems changing the OS.

 I also bought a battery backup for it. Seems intermittent power outages
 and constant barrage of OS updates wreak havoc with my XP Tor node.

 The box will be devoted to Tor and I hope a Type 3 remailer. It will just
 kind of sit on my home network doing its thing (without interruption I
 hope). I have a KVM to switch between the two.

 I have a reasonable bandwidth with Comcast, and reasonable financial
outlays
 to accomplish what I want are not out of the question.

 Question is, where the heck do I start? I am a PhD in EE but not computer
 science. Linux, Unix, Wine, very confusing. I spend a lot of time at work
 so I really need help. I just can't spare the time from my business.

 Help!!!!! Anyone please!!!

--
Best regards,
 Roadburner                          mailto:roadburner@xxxxxxxxxxx