Something Strange Happens to google when Tor is enabled

I just started to use Tor with the firefox extention. When the extention is on and I do a Google search wether it's with the search plugin in firefox or going to google.com I get rerouted to google.de which is not in english. I can use the english version of google just fine without the extention on and when I use IE with Tor running in the background. The workaround for this is to leave tor off when doing a google search and enableing it in firefox when I am done. Since Tor is all about privacy, I'm exposing my IP to google when I do this. Can you please explain my problem if you can and tell me how to fix it? Also, I'm behind a router so I don't know if that means anything. Thanks.