Re: (FWD) Re: Something Strange Happens to google when Tor is enabled

Thanks Mike for helping me. I changed the action to http://www.google.ca/search and I got results in english. Strangely though putting google.us brings me back to google germany. I think that google.us looks at the ip address that's requesting the results and figures I'm from germany. but it doesn't matter, it's fixed! thanks to everybody who helped.

----- Original Message ----
From: Mike Perry <mikepery@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 4, 2006 5:39:06 PM
Subject: Re: (FWD) Re: Something Strange Happens to google when Tor is enabled

Thus spake Roger Dingledine (arma@xxxxxxx):

> [Forwarding because Alexis isn't subscribed to or-talk at this
> address. Also, you should check out the FAQ entry on this topic:
> http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#GoogleLanguage
> -RD]
>
> From: "Alexis Villebrun" <alex@xxxxxxxx>
> Just modify the searchplugins/google.src like this :
>
>      <input name="q" user>
>      <inputnext name="start" factor="10">
>      <inputprev>
>   +  <input name="hl" value="en">
>      <input name="ie" value="utf-8">
>      <input name="oe" value="utf-8">

Actually, this has never worked for me... However what does work is
changing the action line to be google.ca, google.us, or
google.co.uk.

- action=""_blank" href="http://www.google.com/search%22">http://www.google.com/search";
+ action=""_blank" href="http://www.google.us/search%22">http://www.google.us/search";

--