Re: Something Strange Happens to google when Tor is enabled

Edit your google search plugin file (searchplugins\google.src) and the highlighted line:

<input name="ie" value="utf-8">
<input name="oe" value="utf-8">
<input name="hl" value="en">

Hope this helps.

On 9/4/06, Kelly Byrd <kbyrd-tor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I went directly to www.google.com but the same problem came up. On the
> Gernan google homepage there is a link to google in english. When I put
> my mouse over it, the url I will be going to is www.google.com/nrc which
> redirects me back to google.com. I typed in google.com/nrc and it did the
> same thing. Now can you or anybody please help me make a search plugin
> that includes google.com/nrc. I tried to make one, and will try again, so
> that I can get google to be in english. Thanks Andrea for your insight on
> how the google search plugin works,

You should know, lots of sites do this trick, called geolocation. They
try and determine where you are in the world from your IP and display
different content accordingly. I know of at least Amazon and Google. It's
not the search plugin's doing, it's the fact that connection to
www.google.com really redirects you to an IP that's localized based on
IP.