Re: Revealing tor hidden services by their clock skew

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 07:48:52AM -0700, Brian C wrote:
> http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/09/04/hot-or-not-revealing-hidden-services-by-their-clock-skew/

I was going to post this to the or-talk list, but I see someone beat
me to it :-)

To avoid any misunderstanding, I should add that there is no reason to
panic. Primarily the paper is designed to feed into the future design
of Tor rather than suggest any short term fixes. There are already
known attacks on Tor which will probably work better than this, but
the proposed defences to these will not fix the problem I discuss in
the paper.

Also, in the paper, I say that for clarity the results in the paper
are mainly from a private Tor network and running it in reality will
be more messy. However, as the performace of the Tor network improves,
the attack will be more effective, so is worth bearing in mind for the
future.

Thanks,
Steven.

--