Re: Tor crashes ZoneAlarm

While I think it is important to correct the problem of tor-zonealarm incompatibility I don't think anybody who uses tor should use zonealarm. Tor is an anonymity and privacy tool and zone-alarm doesn't respect either of these fundementals. When installed+run, zone-alarm "phones-home" (check for yourself with a packet sniffer) even if you tell it not to access anything. In other words, it breaks it's own rules and I wouldn't trust my privacy/anonymity to it.

On 9/15/06, Lee Fisher <blibbet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, Windows says it has created a error log, but I don't know where.

Debugging Tools for Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

use a debugger to catch the problem as it happens. or use postmortem
tools to look at the dump.

programs like ZoneAlarm are hooking NT file system I/O and network port
calls, and checking them. if file system filter drivers are not WELL
written and WELL tested (especially interop with similar software
installed on the same box) things will go wrong in strange ways.

tools like this may also help:
http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=199
http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=154