Re: Tor with ssh port forwarding

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:07:49PM +0200, Végh István wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are 2 hosts.
> Host 1 is at home (Debian-testing).
> Host 2 is at my workplace (WindowsXP Pro)
>
> I use Tor with Privoxy at home (host 1). Firefox with Torbutton plugin
> works fine. So it seems everything ok.
>
> At my workplace I use (WindowsXP, host 2) SSH port forwarding (with
> Putyy) for webbrowsing. At Firefox in preferences, in connection tab I
> had to set Socks host: localhost, port: 1080, using Socksv5.
>
> I would like to use the Tor network from the host2 over SSH
> portforwarding using my Debian host(2) at home.
> Is it possible? If so, how can I do it?

What i do is set up a tunnel in Putty like this:
Configuration -> Connection -> ssh -> tunnels:
	Source Port: 9050
	Destination: 127.0.0.1:9050
	Press "Add"
Don't forget to save the settings.

In Firefox set the SOCKS-Proxy to 127.0.0.1, Port 9050. You can leave
everything else blank.

ADDITIONALLY you want to tell your Firefox to send DNS-lookups through the
SOCKS-tunnel; open a tab, enter "about:config" as the URL, search for the key
"network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and set it to "true".

> Thanks

Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it