Re: Warning TorButton 1.1.7-alfa

Thus spake force44@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (force44@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> I upgraded to 1.1.7-alfa yesterday and saw that it is really a crap
> :(

Thanks for the bug report. Even though it is a bit immaturely
delivered with lots of whining instead of actual helpful content, I
will do my best to fix the issues you have encountered.

> I used to manage my cookies, javacsript and history, MYSELF. Now
> trobutton wants to do all by itself, and the result is that:
>
> 1- My history isn't cleared when I close Firefox, even when this
> option is selected in the Firefox options.

This is a bug. It will be fixed in 1.1.8. Thanks for reporting!

In the meantime, the workaround is to go into the Torbutton
preferences, go to the "Shutdown" tab, and click "Allow me to manage
my own Private Data Settings."

> 2- Some websites that use javascript do not work with Tor. It is
> possible that I TRUST the CONTENT of a website, including scripts,
> BUT I want to use TOR to hide my IP. With torbutton this is a real
> hassle now.

Is it possible for you to give me a list of websites torbutton breaks?
or describe how it breaks then? It works for me and I have recieved no
reports of breakage so far from others.

> Will try to go back to an older version if it is still available
> online :((((( Torbutton is a GREAT extension but WHY hell does the
> author want to care of all together??? Maybe he should also include
> Firefox in the extension, and why not, Windows or a unix
> distribution??? really BAD now :((((

You can hate on me all day long, but the fact of the matter is that
every other Firefox extension combo (including self management up to
the point of a Tor-only firewall) leaves you vulnerable to numerous
attacks to reveal your IP address and other location infromation. So
people can either help me fix Torbutton so it is usable for them, or
they can choose to remain vulnerable.

You may want to read over http://torbutton.torproject.org/dev/ to see
what sort of things you are vulnerable to without torbutton. If that
documentation is unclear, again, please notify me.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist