Re: Fwd: Re: Library Defeats Tor

     On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:06:48 -0700 mark485anderson@xxxxxx wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:02:53 -0700, mark485anderson@xxxxxx said:
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:20:42 -0500 (CDT), "Scott Bennett"
>> <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

     What does your firewall software or other tool at your disposal have to
say about the TCP packets from your browser?  Do they go to privoxy?  And
where does it say that packets from privoxy go?  To your tor client?  Somewhere
else?

     Just to confirm:  your firewall log shows that the UDP packets in
question are destined to some IP address and port 53?

>> >      Okay.  Good.

     Your laptop, old though it may be, apparently has no trouble handling
wireless IP traffic, so I would bet that a sniffer storing, say, only UDP
packets to port 53 wouldn't overtax it.

     Because I don't know how that works in privoxy, I'll ask, does your
firewall allow you to block outbound UDP packets to port 53?  If so, what
happens if you block them that way instead of via privoxy?

>> >      About 2.5 years so far.

>> >      I think the question posed here may reveal the answer.
>>
>> Already answered that I think, the dns requests APPEAR to be made each
>> time a new url is looked up and not in looking up tor servers, but I
>> will only know for certain when I run the sniffer, if that is possible
>> on my laptop.

     As long as your wireless interface (and its driver) can run in
promiscuous mode, a sniffer ought to work okay.  Some systems may well be
able to trap outbound packets without an actual sniffer.  On most/all UNIX
systems, you will need root privileges, too, to run tools like tcpdump(1).

     Actually, that's probably worth a shot, given recent postings by the
author of Torbutton.  It's also trivial to do if you have the Quick Java
and/or NoScript plugins installed in firefox.

     Cookies are just data.  They do not execute and therefore do not query
name servers, so I wouldn't think that would be worth bothering with.

>> >      Yes, and I think that may be why Watson asked the question I noted
>> > above.  Tor does its own name server queries for two purposes:  1) to
>> > provide exit service when running in server mode, 2) to look up addresses
>> > of other tor servers, regardless of mode.  These are normal operations
>> > and reveal only those activities.  When you are using it in a public
>> > location, I assume that it is running only as a client.  So that returns
>> > us to the question of exactly what kinds of addresses is tor looking up?
>>
>> the laptop appears to be getting web site dns translations from a
>> library node rather than from tor, which allows tracking and profiling.
>> each time a new url is introduced I get a firewall dns request in the
>> log.
>>
>> > Are they only the addresses of other tor servers?  Or do they also
>> > include the addresses of the web sites you're trying to reach?
>> >      Would you also please double check your browser configuration to
>> > make sure it is forwarding everything through privoxy?  If you're using
>> > a firefox plug-in module like Torbutton, switchproxy, or foxyproxy, have
>> > you accidentally disabled the proxy?
>>
>> nope, don't use those, the browser is always set to go through privoxy.
>> will do some further testing and try to report back, but suprised not
>> more answers to this post. certainly others should have experienced this
>> problem.

     I guess that's the point:  we haven't experienced it, which is why
we've been asking questions to try to debug the problem.  Here are more.

	1) Are you using a Microslop operating system?  If so, which?
	And if not, then which operating system and version are you using?

	2) What is the firewall software that you have referred to several
	times?

	3) Which version of tor are you running?

	4) Which browser and version are you using?

	5) Under the assumption for the moment that your connection to the
	wireless attach point gets configured by DHCP, which IP address(es)
	got assigned to your system for its own address, for an IP gateway,
	and for name server(s) to be used?

     I keep having the feeling that what you think is happening differs from
what is actually happening and/or something misconfigured somehow is being
overlooked.  Please be patient with us.  We're trying to help figure out
what's going on, and you're the only one who can provide the observational
data that might lead to a solution.  If it seems like we are just grabbing
at straws so far, rest assured that we aren't there yet and can't get there
until we first have at least the basic facts of the case established.  ;-)
     Anyone else with pertinent questions, please join in!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG