Re: Tor a carrier for Botnet traffic?

     On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:02:45 -0300 Freemor <freemor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:51:58 -0400
>krishna e bera <keb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>=20
>> Until some security forensics people document that Tor is being used
>> in real botnets, i don't think new policies restricting Tor usage=20
>> are called for.
>>=20
>>=20
>I'm on the same page here until I see a properly documented case of Tor
>being used as a CnC channel or in some other way by a bot net I'm
>going to chalk it up to FUD.=20
>
>To the OP the open Internet carries FAR more botnet traffic.. perhaps
>we should block the entire net? If you want to stop botnets.. educate
>people. Teach them how  not to get infected. Teach them how to tell if
>they are infected. Teach then to use firewalls that are not outbound
>leaky and are on an independent machine used just as a FW with no
>remote admin. Proper security practises would do far more to stop
>Botnets then worrying about Tor.

     Keep in mind, however, that this particular piece of FUD appears to
endanger a sizable chunk of the U.S. subpopulation of tor nodes because
Comcast is using that excuse, among others, to shut them down.  That was
the first of two excuses they used to force me to shut down MYCROFTsOtherChild.
     Meanwhile, I continue to look for a suitable alternative ISP.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG