Re: [tor-talk] .onion address for SSH no longer works

On Monday 19 September 2011 18:11:55 Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
> Hello,
> I've set up Tor on my server, including a SSH hidden service, replete
> with its *.onion address. I've been able to remotely login via the
> hidden SSH service.
> But last week, after a package update to tor-0.2.2.33 (I installed tor
> from official repo), and a tor restart, I get a connection refused
> error when trying to access the hidden service. I checked and my tor
> service is running normally, no errors in tor logs either...
> How do I troubleshoot this issue?
> Thanks.

1. Try to connect to the SSH server directly from the box running Tor, without
going through Tor. "telnet localhost 22" (assuming your sshd is using the
usual port; sometimes people map different ports when running hidden
services) will tell you if sshd is up without actually logging in.

2. Run tcpdump or wireshark on the server looking for any activity on port 22;
while it's running, try to connect to the hidden service. If tor and sshd are
on the same computer, you need to watch the loopback interface.

3. Rename the hostname file, leaving the private_key untouched, in the hidden
service folder, and restart tor. It should create an identical hostname file.

You can add "SafeLogging 0" to torrc to tell tor to show you the addresses of
hidden services it's failing to connect to. Set it to 1 when you've fixed the
problem.

cmeclax