Re: [tor-talk] How dangerous are DNS leak?

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 13:06, esolve esolve wrote:
> I'm just wondering how can the website know your ISP or location?

One way is just to interrogate some tables. That points out the ISP for
sure, but the qality of the location is variable.
Another way is to use the information provided by your own browser in a
sneaky way. Up from all the features needed, Firefox was happy to
implement geolocation. Meaning it collects data about lots of stuff
around you, like wifi hotspots, cross refference it with the beautiful
Google maps and Google streetview, which happened to record this kind of
information and poof! They can have a pretty good idea.
Another way is when apps leak location data from a GSM receiver or GPS.

Most cases I know never involve a complicated technical diagram. They
just push a form and the user knowingly discloses a lot more private
data than just location.

Cheers!