Re: [tor-talk] Many more Tor users in the past week?

On 09/01/2013 03:45 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:

>>> Which is another thought, graphs are made from logs. If they're
>>> based on ip, and new ip's are showing up, just pick ten that
>>> weren't there ever before, that resolve back to some
>>> reasonable single user contactable domain, mail them and
>>> say "hi, we're tor, what are you using"? It's offendably tracky,
>>> spammy, and not guaranteed to be one of the clients making
>>> up the spiking group, but if that's all you've got left...
>>
>> Does the Tor Project actually retain IP addresses in these logs?
>
> This data comes from "extrainfo" descriptors published by relays.
> You can see them all at https://metrics.torproject.org/data.html
>
> Or said more clearly, The Tor Project does not have any logs, so the
> logs we don't have don't have IP addresses. :)

That's good to know :)

> You might find http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#wecsr10measuring-tor
> interesting for a discussion of the sorts of data the relays collect
> and why we think it's safe / worthwhile.

From a quick skim of this, I get from the end of Section 5.1 that
directory authorities process client IP addresses in memory, and that
they only write the number of unique IP addresses by country. Is that an
accurate reading?

I'm not sure that I understand the last paragraph in that section. I
think (hope) that entry nodes and bridges handle client IP addresses as
carefully as directory authorities do. Is that an accurate reading?

Bottom line, was grarpamp just speaking hypothetically, about something
that a directory authority etc could possibly do?

> And you might like https://research.torproject.org/techreports.html
> for the write-ups we've done about various ways to try to count
> users despite not having much info about anything.

Thank you.