[tor-talk] Why does tor open UDP ports?

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused as to why tor opens two UDP ports (one ipv4 and ipv6 each) on my server. The port numbers seem to be random. The output from 'netstat -lnup' is as follows:

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:41512 0.0.0.0:* 8456/tor udp6 0 0 :::36206 :::* 8456/tor

After a little search I suspected those ports to be used for DNS functionality - but the config option "DNSPort 0" in my torrc did not deactivate those ports and the socks proxy is disabled as well. Furthermore I would have expected such ports to be opened for local connections only, but they accept connections from the whole wide world ...

So why does tor open those ports?

-Stephan