Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Financial Transparency

On 09/14/2013 01:12 PM, Paul Syverson wrote:

SNIP

> I have yet to see other than an ad hominem argument in your
> statements, Roughly,
>
> A. Entity x is evil.
> B. Entity x funded the building of y.
> C. If A and B are true, there can be no adequate answer
>    to "Why should we trust y?"*
> D. Therefore, we cannot trust y.
>
> *No matter how much more open the funding, design, and coding are than
> anything providing similar functionality and no matter how much more
> public, independent, scientific, widespread, repeated analysis y is
> subject to than anything else out there.

That sums it up well, I think.

Given Tor's design, numerous parties, including many sets of bitter
enemies, can cooperate to provide common anonymity. The design is open,
so all parties can identify weaknesses and contribute improvements.
Moreover, there's a common interest in doing so.

That's elegant and beautiful.

SNIP