Re: [tor-talk] What should our 31c3 talk be?

Griffin Boyce:
> Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> Two lessons I've learned from recent CCC talks:
>>
>> A) Social commentary works much better than technical things. That
>> is, the audience respects us for our technical work, and now they
>> want to hear
>> our perspective on what's going on in the world. So while my
>> instinct is to use the talks to make the audience more technically
>> competent and thus more able to help us in this growing global
>> conflict, the talks that work best these days are more like social
>> rallies.
>
>    I think it makes more sense to start from the beginning.  Talk
> about the social problems that Tor tries to solve, and then talk
> about the technical ways that Tor actually solves them.  Domestic
> Violence victims are easily tracked via email and other means, so
> using tor will help prevent that by giving them a different IP
> address and preventing niche attacks that are otherwise hard to
> mitigate.  People with serious medical concerns use it to keep their
> private information private. Everything from pregnancy to rape to
> transgender status can cause someone's personal data to be more
> valuable to big corporations -- or put them at risk of death,
> depending on location.  Someone wants to look up OSHA regulations
> anonymously and maybe file a complaint about their dangerous
> workplace -- Tor helps make sure they're really anonymous through the
> magic of onion routing.  Anonymous bloggers and journalists need it
> for the same reason.

I tend to agree with this. It may also lead on to topics such as what
threats are being effectively addressed/mitigated and what threats Tor
does not currently protect you from. It does seem that illegal activity
(as evidenced through the Silk Road take down and operation Torpedo) is
being actively targeted and people are being identified and arrested,
although not necessarily through vulnerabilities in Tor. An exploration
of who has the capabilities to unmask Tor users and why/how would be
interesting.

This may also lead into #3 (sponsors) and could provide some food for
thought.
--
kat