Re: [tor-talk] Comcast looking for Tor traffic, contacting customers to threaten termination of service.

On 09/15/2014 12:02 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I consider PinkMeth to be far worse, and far worse for Tor's public
>> image, than anything I've seen before. It dehumanizes and exploits the
>> women, of course. But it also corrupts and perverts its users, and puts
>> them at risk, by encouraging libelous actions.
>
> The humanity 'seeable' in the darkest corners of the darknets would
> make Press favorites PinkMeth/celebs and SilkRoad look like disney.com
> in comparison. The Press isn't in the habit of publishing stories
> that make their readers (and editors) vomit, it's bad business. So
> they stick to the sides of the coins most society can relate to,
> such as drugs, guns and here... bedroom escapades and resultant
> leaks/attacks (eg: gossip). Imagewise, those seem to be sufficient
> to meet their ratings quota and raise issue with things they don't
> have much control over... darknets, Bitcoin, etc.

Just to clarify, I've encountered onion sites that are far more vile and
depraved than PinkMeth at its worst. But the difference is that their
potential audience is very small. PinkMeth, on the other hand, has
potential to become one of the top onion sites.

> On the other hand, there are some very good uses of darknets out
> there. Beyond specific uses, the great diversity of thought and
> discourse flourishing under the protection of [ano]nymity is perhaps
> the most interesting. We need more of these stories. Make some...

I'd also love to hear more about those sites.