Re: [tor-talk] more sites requiring captchas from Cloudfare (using Google API?)

Mike Perry transcribed 3.6K bytes:
> I think the next step here is to try to gather a list of cloudflare
> customers we suspect to be Tor friendly, and have them politely request
> that their Tor users not be discriminated in this way, and failing that,
> publicly leave Cloudflare for a competing ISP. I think pushback
> from actual CloudFlare customers will carry far more weight here than
> pushback from the Tor Project or the EFF. It also makes zero sense for
> CloudFlare to serve Tor users captchas at all if their customers are the
> ones paying the hosting bills and are happy to serve Tor users.

+1

However, I don't know of a competitor to Cloudflare who privides free (as in
beer) (D)DoS-protection via reverse webproxies, not to mention all the other
bells and whistles which Cloudflare offers. It'll be hard to make the argument
to switch for user-privacy reasons, given the seeming lack of marketed
alternatives.

Can anyone recommend a comparable alternative to Cloudflare?

> For my part, I've noticed that nearly all of the Bitcoin web
> infrastructure is hosted on Cloudflare. Surely some of those people
> might be willing to speak up for us.

I have considered starting an outreach effort to speak to the maintainers of
some of these sites, with the idea that I might gather sympathy from certain
communities who use Cloudflare.

For example, as you mentioned, the Bitcoin community, which I have personally
noticed while having discussions with some of the core bitcoin developers, who
pointed me to various bits of Bitcoin documentation... which I was
frustratingly unable to access due to an infinite CAPTCHA loop from
Cloudflare. The core Bitcoin developers, from my experience, are all extremely
well-informed about Tor and related privacy and security issues. I would guess
that they are likely using Cloudflare primarily as a mechanism to decrease the
attack surface of their sites, and probably are already aware (or would be
upset to learn) that Cloudflare sometimes prevents Tor users from accessing
the content entirely.

> Has anyone else noticed Cloudflare captchas on sites that they would
> otherwise expect to be run by Tor-friendly entities?

Here's the beginnings of your list. Others should feel free to amend.

Possibly-Tor-sympathetic sites which use Cloudflare:
 * [The Bitcoin Wiki](https://en.bitcoin.it)
 * [Open Tech Fund](https://www.opentechfund.org/)

--
 ââ isis agora lovecruft