Re: [tor-talk] tor + twitter issues

* Tempest <tempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2015-09-14 00:08:44 +0000]:

to sum up, twitter now appears to be desiring phone numbers from tor
users in order to use their service. without feedback, i expect this
will get worse. over the past 30 days, twitter has regularly locked me
out and required password resets. this is the first time i've been
required to provide a phone number to get my account unlocked.

Sadly Twitter seems to have been enforcing this over the past year[0] or
so, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. IIRC, Twitter tries to
do this in an attempt to try and curtail perceived abuse and/or trolls
from using Twitter as a platform, but they go about it in the worst way
possible.
The hashtag #TwitterTorLockout[1] has been used by several members of
the community (including devs) to voice their complaints about Twitter
doing this, but as you can see nothing has improved.
Does anyone on this list has contacts in Twitter who might be open to
talking with the community, can you ask them to join this list? I really
would love to see this issue resolved along with my account not being
locked out.
[0]: http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/02/twitter-tor-phone-verification/
[1]: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23twittertorlockout --