Re: [tor-talk] New methods / research to detect add-ons?

On 09/29/2015 12:46 PM, pacifica@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Spencer,
>
> The closest thing I'm aware of to a one-stop-shop to view the factors
> of your fingerprint would be Valve's fingerprint.js library:
>
> https://github.com/Valve/fingerprintjs2
>
> It's definitely not sophisticated enough to meet most Tor users'
> needs, but it's a good start. It's also well documented and can easily
> be run locally.
>
> To answer your question:
>
>> With this logic, TorBrowser users could select a unique set of add-ons
>> each session, correct?
>
> It's important to consider TBB's design... which is to make _all_ Tor
> Browser Bundle users look identical. This provides strong anonymity
> amongst other TBB users. It does not hide the fact that you're using
> Tor or the TBB, but attempts to hide you within the group to make each
> individual difficult to uniquely track. This is also the reason for
> the recent roll-out of the per-domain circuits, because third-party
> trackers could collude to correlate traffic and de-anonymize Tor users
> that way. This is also why Tor Project released the "slider" to pick
> from a handful of pre-defined security/privacy levels. Because of
> indirect detection of the myriad of potential browser configurations,
> individual configurations could inadvertently make people quite
> unique. So the slider helps to coalesce the potentially huge number of
> combinations to single digits, assuming that most people will be
> comfortable with a provided setting.
>
> First, the default configuration of TBB is sufficient to make
> cross-session fingerprinting and tracking difficult (not impossible,
> especially if JS is enabled, but that has trade-offs of its own).
> Installing unique add-ons each session, would make tracking across
> sessions a little more difficult (albeit probably easier than the
> default TBB config since you would be, once again, unique...), at the
> expense of being unique during that session.
>
> That practice would be almost universally discouraged, except perhaps
> for some imaginative fringe cases.
>
> I think it's well known and understood that "adding add-ons to TBB" =
> "bad for anonymity", but I'd prefer to know "how bad", instead of just
> a binary good / bad.
>
> Perhaps this want to know more resonates with others, and will warrant
> some research if it's not already been undertaken.

Perhaps one could identify the two or three extensions that might be
added (e.g. addblock plus, csfire, flashgot, etc.) and study
<browserspy.dk> with/without the extensions. This could provide the
(superficial?) quantification of the effects of the various extensions
that you seek. (obviously do this in temporary VMs, or reinstall a
"clean" copy after testing)