Re: [tor-talk] I can't use Tor via "obfs3" or other methods.

Jason Long transcribed 7.1K bytes:
> Isis Agora Lovecruft wrote:
> > Hello Jason,
> >
> > First, please try not to paste Bridge IP addresses and ports (i.e.
> > "148.251.156.199:443") or Bridge fingerprints (i.e.
> > "3BECEABD174AE41C5CCC17254A40DD24EC5372CD") into public communications channels.
> > It's dangerous for you, because now people know which Bridges you are going to
> > try to connect to when you start up Tor.  It's also potentially dangerous for
> > other people, since there may be other people using these Bridges.  Lastly, it's
> > bad for the Bridges themselves, since they will likely now be blocked by several
> > censors and will no longer work in those places.
> >
> > To answer your question, it looks like your SSL connections are somehow dying.
> > This could mean many things.  It could simply be that the router at your
> > house/office/cafÃ/etc. is doing strange things.  Or, it might mean that someone
> > somewhere is tampering with your connections.  Or it could mean something else
> > entirely.
> >
> > I would recommend that you email BridgeDB at mailto:bridges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
> > request some new bridges.  Perhaps try using obfs4 instead, if you can?
>
> Thank you so much and I didn't know this problem about Bridges. I just copy
> Tor Log and nothing else :(.

No worries; it's not your fault at all.  I think we should be logging sensitive
info at those levels anyway (see #17193). [0]

> I used all methods as I said and all of them have same problem :(. "obfs4" ,
> "fte" and...
>
> What is your idea? Can government blocking Tor?

Governments (and some other parties, like your network admin, your ISP, etc.)
could certainly block Tor, including blocking Bridges.  There are many ways that
they could do this, some with various consequences (for that government/etc.).
A simple example would be if your government only allowed traffic to
http://cnn.com:80, and then block anything that doesn't look like plaintext HTTP
of someone reading CNN articles.  Obviously, this would be ridiculous if a
government did this, as pretty much all commerce, banking, online education, and
a million other things would completely stop.

However, without knowing more details about your specific situation, I can't
really determine if/how Tor is blocked for you.

[0]: https://bugs.torproject.org/17193

--
 ââ isis agora lovecruft