Re: [tor-talk] Connect Tor to socks4a proxy

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Flipchan <flipchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am currently working on a proxy Project (github.com/flipchan/LayerProx) and i connect to my proxy with a socks4a

As a general note for authors of things that speak and listen 'socks'...
Some credit would be due for using socks4a instead of socks4.
However both socks4 and socks4a are long deprecated and should
not be implemented. Please write all new projects first in socks5.
Then add code for socks4a if absolutely necessary for legacy support.
Socks5 adds somewhat better DNS / semantics, UDP transport
and IPv6 transport. The latter two, especially IPv6, being mandatory
features for the user of today's internet.

> Does anyone know how to connect to a socks4a proxy with Tor(without proxychains)

Tor client can listen and speak socks5.
Tor exits cannot speak socks5. For that you either need to
- tunnel the application (socks5) through tor. ie: proxychains
- patch signaling into tor so that some type of client
service request mode causes the exit in use to speak
socks5 on behalf of circuit requestor.

> i have played around with socat

Socat socks5 is partial implement, work with dest-unreach
people to make it fuller semantic like their socks4a implement.

A decent client and server is dante.