Re: GUI - Comments

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, WareWolf wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>

> h4>> What kind(s) of target surface(s) for mouse
> AR>  pointers should exist?</h4>
> AR>
> AR> Are you talking about the actual pixmap representing
> AR> the mouse cursor? This can be handled nicely.
>
> No. I mean the "area" or "base" on which the mouse pointer moves around.
> This is for example the screen.
Hmm, basically the 2d API will be ignoring such things of course.
We already know that the GUI will either have two negitiate with the
hardware (using pg2d and ggi as middlemen), or handle the cursor itself
in software.  The latter would probably be necassary for some "virtual"
pointers.  This causes complications, and has to do with things
like frame refresh.  I don't have time to think about it now:)

> For this I invented this "merging". Of course only internally. It would
> "merge" the pointer and the dragged object to one single pixmap / graphics
> object, so that it can easily be controlled by the mouse pointer code
> (without having some extra code waiting for the mouse ptr to be moved).
>
> Of course this would be transparent to the programmer.
>
> AR> while the mouse pointer would probably have to
> AR> be a pixmap.
>
> This however is more serious...

Your call.  I prefer my way, but I won't start a big discussion about
something that seem far into the future.