Re: Webpage: Submissions, ideas, etc.

Hi Garrett,

GG> Please send me submissions, suggestions, etc. of stuff you'd like to see
GG> on the web pages.  I'd particularly like to get all the draft proposals,
GG> documentation, and pointers to source code and demos updated.

(1) Some time ago Adrian posted a draft of a general PenguinPlay
introduction. We could take this as our "main intro".

(2) Who's maintaining the FAQ? The last version I read didn't consider
portability and platform independence as very important. This should be
changed.

(3) I think it's time to create an up-to-date overview of the different
Parts of the Project. My suggestion:

Layer P: (these parts will be largely independent of each other and mostly
provide only basic functionality)

        * 2d/3d Graphics
        * Sound
        * Networking
        * Input
        * File Access

Layer O: (Here different Parts can depend on each other)

        * 2d Graphics
        * 3d Graphics
        * World engine
        * Sound
        * File Access (?)
        * AI
        * GUI
        * Input

Utilities: (several Utilities for game development)

        * Sprite editor
        * Map/scene editor (2d/3d)
        * 3d object modeler
        * midi/wave/... editor(2) (don't much about that)
        * PAK-file compiler
        * evtl. some visual development tools (GUI designer, network
constructor, ...)

(4) Completely different issue: Gtk-- uses some perl script to generate
documentation out of C++ source code (_not_ by extracting docs hidden in
comments but by actually analyzing the code). I'll have a look at it,
perhaps we can use it.

(5) Perhaps we should remove the old (obsolete) documents on the homepage
(e.g. the one describing the four-layer model) until we have up-to-date
versions. IMHO they cause too much confusion.

(6) Is it possible to provide a facility for downloading (parts of) the
homepage as compressed archive (tgz or so) for offline reading? Perhaps
generated on the fly by some CGI script?

Ok, that's it for now. ;)

Cu
        Christian

Christian Reiniger (Germany)