invitation to other opensource gamedev projects

Hi,

I'm now sending the invitation to then next IRC meeting to the other
projects:

Linux Game Tome
Linux Game Developers Webring
Linux Game Programming Megasite
LinuxGames
ClanLib
Linux Game Development HowTo
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
GAMES - GNU Animation Multimedia Entertainment System
3dfx HowTo
Daryll Straussī Linux 3D Homepage
Mesa

I did *not* send mails to the following projects, because they have people
subscribed to this list:

CrystalSpace (Jorrit Tyberghein)
SDL (Sam Lantiga)
Linux Game Development Page (Ian Crawford)
MGL (Stephane Peter (?))

Adrian took care about the GGI project, so I didn't send them a mail either.

Ok, this is the invitation text:

-------------------------
Hi,

Iīm a developer of the PenguinPlay project
(http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay). We will have an IRC meeting next weekend
and would love to see you there.

The meeting is scheduled for Sat, 08.Aug.1998, 21:00 GMT on EFNet, channel
#gamedev

We'll log the meeting and provide a summary and transcript on the PPlay
homepage about one day later. The URL will be:
http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/irc-08.aug.1998.html
If you want to be notified when it becomes available (e.g. so that you can
put a copy on your homepage ASAP) please tell me (warewolf@mayn.de)

The Meeting will consist of two parts:

First we want to get all people involved in Open Source game development to
meet each other, find out more about the other projects and discuss how our
efforts can be coordinated better.

This invitaition (the thing you currently read) is being sent to
representatives/mailing lists of the following projects:

PenguinPlay
	http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/
LinuxGames
	http://www.linuxgames.com/
Linux Game Tome
	http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tlau/tome/
GGI
	http://www.ggi-project.org/
CrystalSpace
	http://www.grimmware.com/CrystalSpace/
SDL
	http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/
Linux Games Development Center
	http://sunsite.auc.dk/linuxgames/
Linux game development webring
	http://www.kcdata.com/~mack-10/
Daryll Straussī Linux 3D page
	http://glide.xxedgexx.com/
MGL
	http://www.scitechsoft.com/dp_mgl.html
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
	http://alsa.jcu.cz/
GAMES - GNU Animation Multimedia Entertainment System
	http://members.xoom.com/bitwize/
Linux Game Programming Megasite
	http://www.kc.net/~mack-10/
Linux Game Programming HowTo
	http://www.funny.demon.co.uk/fg.html
Mesa
	http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~brianp/Mesa.html
ClanLib
	http://clanlib.org/
3dfx HowTo
	http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/xf3D/howto/3Dfx-HOWTO.html

If you know someone/some project we forgot, please forward this mail to them
(and if possible notify us so that we can keep our lists up to date)

We hope at least one person of each of these projects will be able to join us.
Apropos joining: It would be nice if you could say what project youīre from
when you join the meeting. This makes recordkeeping (for the summary) and
communication much easier.

Ok, now for the second part.

We think it's time to get open source developers and commercial game
developers together to learn why the game industry hesitates to make games for
linux, to ask them what the Linux environment lacks for supporting games and
to discuss how this situation can be changed best.

We want to use our smaller meeting (the one this weekend) to discuss about
this big event - what we have to do before, how to approach the commercial
guys, what exactly to place on the agenda etc.

These are the things we planned so far:

The main announcement for the meeting will be posted about one week in
advance on
* comp.os.linux.announce.
* comp.games.programming
* alt.games.programming
* Slashdot (http://slashdot.org)
* our homepages

It will contain
* a description of its aims
  - learn about what needs to be done to attract game companies to Linux
  - discuss how this can be archieved best
  - it is *NOT* meant for flaming the commercial people for not porting their
    games to Linux !!!
* Date, time, irc server and channel
* the (detailed) agenda
* a list of the projects and companies that will be most likely present
  including URLs of projects. This will also serve as an overview over the
  current efforts/possibilities/...
* Some organizational notes
  - Meeting will be logged, summary+transcript will be available 1-2 days later
  - Participants should introduce themselves when joining

In addition the commercial developers have to be invited personally via mail
about one week before the announcement is posted. These invitations will have
to contain the main announcement plus some more items:

* A list of the projects providing _portable_ libraries (see note below)
* Again stressing that we do NOT want to flame them

Notes:
* The commercial people will be interested most in *portable* APIs/SDKs/...
Itīs easier to convince them to use some new library if this lib
supports Win32 *and* Playstation *and* MacOS *and* Linux in a portable
way instead of *only* Linux.
* Up to now we have email addresses of developers at crack.com, Westwood and
Activision (not sure about the last one). We need more!
* I personally would like to see the Big meeting in about one month (end of
August). We'll have to discuss that, too