Re: Re[2]: OpenGL+GLUT the future

---John <tarquin@texas.net> wrote:
> GLUT is linked to X. That in itself is a reason not
> to build a game lib off of it.

On win32, GLUT is linked to windows. There is no reason why GLUT could
not be linked against svgalib if you wanted to (in fact it is
already(?)). GLUT only defines the specification, not how it's
implemeted. Embrace and extend.

> Keyboard handling in X for a fullscreen program can
> get strange.

Keyboards not the problem, the mouse is. GLUT 3.6+ added mouse support
for these particular problems, including mouse enter and leave.

> of a gui kit for OpenGL than a nice, general purpose
> base for a game.
Embrace and Extend ;-) The important thing is to keep it platform
neutral.

> Glquake does not use glut.

I was responding to the assersion that Mesa did not have hardware
rendering. I was not asserting that glQuake uses GLUT.

> ...and it does not work outside of GLX.

There is not GLX on windows...

> Sound is the only area where one is going straight
> to the /dev's, and could benifit greatly from a
> slightly abstracted library.

Agreed. But make it platform independant, not linux only.
==
--
Paul Matthews
nudge@samba.anu.edu.au