Re: Different game projects, my opinion

> As for the Linux port of Crystal Space, this will be a very good thing.
> However, because CS is also used in MSW, would the other interfaces (sound,
> network...) be limited in some way?  Using sound as an example, MS has
> already provided the direct sound interface (of which I have never
> programmed with).  Will it be easier to wrap direct sound with the
> PenguinPlay interface or use compiler/makefile directives and use a separate
> interface?

The point is that we may not really care. If the game programmer decided
to use DirectSound directly than that's his choice. It should not prevent him
from using the other toolkits (3D, networking, 2D, ...). It will mean that his
program will be stuck to Windows however. If the programmer wants
portability he can choose the 'PengiunPlay recommended sound toolkit'
which should be as portable as possible (maybe using DirectSound on
Windows for example).

The PengiunPlay project in this sense will be a repository of toolkits and
guidelines. A game developer can pick any toolkit he/she wants to use.

All toolkits endorsed by the PengiunPlay project should be integratable
very well. That's something that the PengiunPlay group and the related
toolkit group should work out.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"The knuckles! The horrible knuckles!"
        -- (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)