Re: The PenguinPlay project and the name controversy

Quoting Christian Reiniger (warewolf@mayn.de):

> (2) All of the projects currently out there are short of manpower, some not
> very much, others critically. Merging projects would concentrate the
> available developers on *one* project, eliminating redundancy etc.

Yup - this is the worst problem. The reason why our website hasn't been
updated since April is simply because I don't have the time - not even in my
summer holidays. Currently, I maintain the entire Linux version of ClanLib,
the website and documentation pages. Martin Starch maintains the DirectX
version - which is somewhat easier, but still a lot. We sure could use a few
more developers.

> So I suggest we give out a "call for developers" soon.

I hope you have a good idea how to do that. I'm open for ideas.

> "The linux game development efforts are now being reorganized. After that
> we are ready to seriously get into gears. But we need more people for that"
>
> is IMHO the right thing to do now.

Well, it's worth a try - but I don't think we will see any game for Linux
before have a set of different demo games (like Space Donuts) that run at
the screen's refresh rate. Also, it is very important that these games are
plug-and-play. Nothing like "you need to have Mesa, glide or ggi installed".
It should automatically detect what's available - and use the best libs
available.

> Microsoft: What API do you have to use today?

DirectX! - with all the pain that comes with it...

--
Magnus Norddahl
ClanLib developer