Re: Installation-issues

Jan Ekholm wrote:

>>> 2. Create an directory in /opt and put it all there. Very easy for me, but
>>> harder for the application programmer, as he/she must manually tell the
>>> compiler where the libs & includes that will be used reside.
>>
>>Personally I like the idea of install things in
>>/usr/local/pkg/zombie[/lib,/bin,/man,/etc] say, then _symlinking_
>>everything in [/lib,/bin,/man,/etc] into either the appropriate /usr or
>>/usr/local directories.
>
>But then you have stuff in both a common /opt (or /usr/local) directory as
>well as the usual /lib, /bin and so on. Basically much more things that

You'd have only the symlinks in /lib (or more likely /usr/local/lib), the
real stuff would be in its own dir in /opt or so.I think that's a clean
solution.

>Solaris servers have with a /opt/package, and then /opt/lib, /opt/bin that
>symlink into /opt/package. Like what you had in mind, but more restricted,

Uh, I don't like the idea of /opt/bin etc. After all that's what /usr/local
is for IIRC...

>I planned on having RPM do that for me. making RPM:s is quite simple, and
>it solves the entire maintainability-issue. New versions can be

Yep, but don't rely only on rpm. Some people (like me) prefer to install
(almost) everything from source and thus have to remove the stuff by hand.
Deleting a dir in /opt and after that the stale symlinks in /usr/local/* is
easy.

Cu
	Christian
--