Re: Installation-issues

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 dannys@poboxes.com wrote:

> Anyways, neither bother me that much.  I'm only against people making
> packages and sticking them in /usr/local/.

Hmm, I see where that is comming from, but I wiould rather like if they
did that.  Once upon a time I had one of those very bastardized slackware
installs where most of the interesting software had long since bein
redownloaded and installed in /usr/local.  One day I nuked my / partition.
So all I did was: find a slackware CD (not even the same version) and
installed onto the / partiotion.  Remounted /usr/local and everything was
working nice and dandy. This is probably less usefull for other distro;'s
though, but I still would like it if distro's were prepared for this kind
of situation, this would mean putting "non-core" packages in /usr/local.
Could be a tricky builsinless though.

Excuse my typoss over tha last few weeks, I have been typing through
telnet from modems around the world.

Bye.