Re: Input team resurrection

On 31-May-99 Christian Reiniger wrote:
> Stephane Peter wrote:
>
>>What Linux need is a universal set of drivers for
>>mice/joysticks/(keyboards?). I
>>mean low-level drivers here. The Linux kernel has all the necesary I/O stuff,
>>but what we really lack is drivers to interpret the data and provide it
>>through
>>a consistent API. This is especially true for mice. If you want to use the
>
> Well, as IIRC Xavier said some time ago: "GGI does [...] input too."
> Amd it does it well. KGI (once it's stabel enough) + LibGII make for a
> combo you can't easily surpass.

But that does not solve the problem we have here. As far as I know, libGII is
only a library and I'm talking about a standalone process that would provide a
driver API that could be used by any application (probably together with a
small stub library). Also GII is not really usable yet from what I've heard.

I don't think moving mouse driver code to the kernel is really necesary, we
only need to be able to talk in the device in some way and the protocol stuff
can be done with such a deamon process.

---
Stephane Peter                          megastep@lokigames.com
Programmer