Re: Guidelines? (And a quick note about the website)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Errol Smith wrote:

>  Here, here! Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves. Something like:
> -Design

Alot of design has been done already just baddly documented.  Which makes
it impossible when people leave the project.

> -Implement cross-platform C/C++

The last is certainly tricky, although egcs makes it easier in unix.

> -Debug
> -Refine design, fixing the things we got wrong.
> -Debug final design

First goal should be a release that works, that WE can write some simple
test games for.   At the current rate of coding, it's unlike that we'll be
close enough to a commerical release any time soon.

However we can work on getting a library sufficently complete so that some
demos are possible, to generate interest both with comments and new
developers.

> -Once design is finalised & portable C/C++ code working, THEN optimize
>  with architecture specific assembly where needed.
> (probably missed something..)

Optimisation always comes last, which is almost a Lemma result of the
90%-10% Theorem. ;)

> btw, Eelke Klein has already done a preliminary sound interface, minus
> 3dsound, surround sound & other fancier stuff.

I surpect you mean

http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/PenguinSound/sound.h which is dated
1998/08/28.

Note the PenguinSounds page is at

http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/PenguinSound/index.html

Ive updated it a bit, but unfortunately the sunsite staff seem to be dead
to the world at the moment, and cvs isn't working that well.

Nicholas